Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hello all,
A common question among most Cre Comm students is what major we will choose within our first year or so here.. It has stumped me. I first began with journalism. It looked great and I do enjoy news etc etc. After our first week I decided not to. I am in the middle of deciding why I got "turned off" of Journalism, maybe its because in our first week here it was highlighted that Journalism was on its way out... and Im sure many can argue otherwise, but it just seems like a pretty tough career to fully succeed in. I do give the utmost props to the handful of students who do choose journalism, I support them fully for they know they can do it, they know they can succeed. I suppose why I am ranting about this is because many do give up. Now you would think I am a giver upper, but I just lost interest, maybe its our Journalism class that ruined my expectations... but that doesn't matter... I am in this program to find something I will enjoy for the rest of my life and that is why I am ranting about Journalism. For those who, like me, thought it was hopeless by the end of the first week I will argue it is not... If you are interested in it and enjoy it then go for it! You will succeed if you put yourself out there, if you work hard and if you remember to love it, make it your own, make yourself known, kick butt, take names, rock the world.
Now I sound like a hypocrite to most for I stroked Journalism off my list of careers, BUT I recommend not to stroke it off if you really had your heart set on it, if you came here to be that Journalism grad. I think you can do it, be positive! Make sure, whatever you choose, you will have a career in something you will enjoy for the rest of your life. And, well, if worst comes to worst, just go with our teacher's opinions that even if you graduate with a diploma in Public Relations, you may very well end up in advertising and so on.
Just a thought from Nicki D, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Despite what they say, journalism is not on its way out. They make it sound like news gathering services will go extinct. They wont. There will always be professional news services, and yes people (not all) will pay for them.

    The instability in journalism is because no one knows how to transition out of print and make as much money to pay journalists. But it will be figured out.

    Professional journalists will always be in demand. Blogs won't take over the world, though they will play their role in the changing media landscape.

    Regardless of what happens, you will only goes as far as you're willing to push yourself towards. Every career is tough to succeed in. Half of the Free Press newsroom are former CreCommers. A good chunk of the Sun is too. Same with CTV News. Although I'm a rugged print journalist at heart, I'll admit there is probably more opportunity in broadcast journalism.

    Don't feel bad for changing your mind about your major, but I'd say follow your heart and pick something that you're passionate about doing. Just don't write off journalism as a meaningful, worthwhile and rewarding career so soon into the program.

    - Matt

    ReplyDelete