Monday, December 7, 2009

Peace that is green!

I just recently read a news article in the Winnipeg Sun regarding the arrest of 19 Greenpeace activists who scaled the walls of a couple Parliament buildings at Parliament Hill. The activists managed to hang huge banners protesting against climate change.
I read the comments on this article and many of them were negative.
I didn't think it was necessary to respond negatively because I guess I find the situation slightly humourous.
This is why:
1) it was a complete breach of security. What the shit? the activists could very well have been terrorists or people that are bad. Security stunk it up on that one.
2) they hung huge banners at Parliament Hill! It's hilarious and clever and I like it.
But I do have mixed feelings about this situation. Greenpeace's actions makes things seem like a game, even though Greenpeace argues it's not, their actions make people not take them seriously. But I do realize this is effective and eye catching and will get the attention of an ignorant government.
All I can say is that, protesting climate change is a good thing and good on Greenpeace for trying to make a difference but it's a tough fight with the world we live in and the governments running it.
AND everyone should just stop calling Greenpeace activists hippies because that's stupid and stereotypical and rude. Get over yourselves, these people are trying to make a difference. Ya their way of making a difference is pretty unconventional but if they were to fall into the masses and not hang those banners Parliament wouldn't be forced to see what a shitty job their doing, hurrah! Ya I'm painfully neutral, but have a great day! :D

4 comments:

  1. I'll refrain from calling them hippies (I'm sure most of their hair is cleaner than that), but I have a hard time imagining that their latest effort will be any more effective than the last few. Harper has already stated that the extent of his so-called "climate plan" is to do whatever Obama does. Unless someone puts a new idea into his head that's more detailed and economically sound than "Do something," that's not going to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We vote people into power based on their ability to "do something". It's not us that need to find a solution it's them.

    Groups like Greenpeace don't think their stunts are going to directly change anything, but they raise awareness where it’s due.

    I personally think stuff like hanging banners off the Parliament buildings makes a bigger impact than an angry letter to the President or a blog on what someone thinks the government should do.

    Call me a greasy haired hippie, but just because us humanoids decided to set up shop on the earth, it doesn't mean we can keep treating it like we are. Good on yea, Greenpeace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how much more awareness of the general idea of climate change needs to be raised at this point? If Greenpeace is capable of causing such a firestorm with scaling walls and putting up banners, they are equally capable of making tangible solutions public. We need multiple voices saying specific things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider myself a bit of a hippie in the fact that I try to just do my part by doing what I am capable of doing: not littering and picking up trash that I see on the ground, recycling, turning my lights off, and just simplifying as much as I can in general.

    While I don't really give a rat's ass about government and realize I probably should, groups like Greenpeace and PETA really piss me off.

    Instead of putting all of this energy, effort, money, and time into pulling crazy stunts like this that really just garner negative attention, couldn't they have actually gone and done something tangible?

    I'm sure they are doing tangible things, but this just seems completely unnecessary.

    I think what made me really question groups like this was back in the summer when PETA used Tim MaClean as an opportunity to advertise their group. Not sure if you guys remember that, and I barely do either, but they basically said that Tim MaClean was no different than a wild animal being hunted, which I believe is complete bullshit.

    Maybe I'm not educated enought on the entire situation, but all I do know is that I respect the earth, and all I can do is just hope that some day everybody else will learn to do so as well.

    ReplyDelete