Monday, January 18, 2010

In The Chamber...



I've never been to a play like the one I attended last Thursday at the Rachel Browne Theatre. The play consisted of two sets, Part One: Last Man in Krakendorf (Gordon Tanner) and Part Two: Last Man in Puntarenas (Steven Ratzlaff).
Both were Monologues... Both 50 minutes each...

I want to state that the acting was good. It was intense, emotional and well done. But that is about it.

Each set had a very intense underlying message that frankly, I didn't feel overly connected to. Now I will admit that I was physically and emotionally tired arriving at the venue which probably didn't help me care too much about anything but I'll just give my honest opinion.

What kept me from dozing off in the first set was all the random swearing. The topic, I didn't like. It was like the audience was witnessing some guy giving some other guy shit for being the head hauncho of some terrible company. It was a lecture. I felt like I was at school. There was a power point and all. Not for me thanks. When I think of the theatre, I think of an enjoyable and relaxing time. Yes I do like different topics. I'm aware that not all theatre is romance or friendship or whatever but the topic, hogs, was just odd and it threw me right off.

After the first set, I didn't mind the second. The topic was more personal and the actual story didn't include nasty hog pictures and vulgar swearing. The actual set of the play was also better.

All in all, I like the theatre but these plays just didn't do anything for myself. The main problem for me was that the script was too much like a lecture and the topics, too boring and dry. I really didn't care about what the characters were ranting about. But who knows, maybe it'd float your boat.

But people, let us make things clear here. Like movies, music, articles, etc., ya see things ya like and ya see things ya don't like, doesn't mean you should stop seeing those genre of things. In summary, I'll still go to the theatre even though when this play was over I was too mentally exhausted to stick around for free wine and cheese. Lessons learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment